Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert at Just Answer
99497409

I recently blew up my boat outboard and am looking at just

Customer Question

Hi, I recently blew up my boat outboard and am looking at just getting another used motor. My current motor is a 1997 Yamaha Pro Vmax 150hp and I am looking at changing it out with a 2000 Yamaha 200HP Salt Water Series II OX66 EFI. Will I need to change anything over going from carb to EFI? Also will all my current controls work with this motor?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Nothing else important.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Boat Doc replied 2 months ago.

No, there is not really anything to change except the gauges. Most of the OX66 engines use a Smart gauge package that has fuel consumption, etc. built in. The shifter control will work. I would also add a water separator in the fuel line like a Racor if you don't already have one, the fuel injection system is very sensitive to water and dirt. Otherwise it should be a straight bolt on as long as the engines are the same shaft length.