Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Broken sponson on 2003 GTI LE. How to replace? Sponson

Customer Question
Broken sponson on 2003...

Broken sponson on 2003 GTI LE. How to replace?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Sponson broken off with only tip attached. Studs still attached through hull

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
7/31/2017
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

The only way to change this is to gain access into the bottom of the hull where the sponson bolts on. The nust are on the inside and the studs are in the sponson. This even could require that the top cap come off the ski to gain access tot he area in the rear of the ski to get at it. That or the exhaust and driveshaft would need to come out to amek room to get a wrench down into this location. I would lean more toward that the top cap of the ski would need to be removed to replace them.

Dont know what the top cap of the ski means otherwise OK

The top cap of the ski is basically everything from the rub rail up. When it is made in the factory, it is in 2 pieces. Then they join them, glue and screw then together and place the rub rail on it to hide the screws. You would need to remove the rubber insert from the rail to see the screws, remove all them, and then cut the sealant that they used to hold the two halves together. Normally is is just marine silicone and can by cut and cleaned up pretty easily. It is a rather big job though.

Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic