Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 25 hp Mercury outboard 2006 or162212 s/n, the first…

Customer Question
I have a 25...

I have a 25 hp Mercury outboard 2006 or162212 s/n , the first Time i start it in the morning it run 4-5 second then shut, every time after that it only run for 1 second

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Gas ,filter,oil everiting is new,my rail pressure is at 44 psi injector ohm are on the specs

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Boat
7/31/2017
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 9 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Is the serial number 1B or 0R?

How long has the engine been sitting?

Or and it been running good all summer
It stop while running , everything was ok the Day before

Have you checked the fuel filter on the engine for any water in it. You can open the filter and pour the contents into a glass jar, allow it to settle and see if there are two layers in it.

Was the engine over full on oil before the change?

Was the fuel pressure checked recently or is that an old reading?

Filter is new, gaz as no water on it , oil level was good , pressure reading done last night

After the engine stalls, do you pump the primer bulb back up to get it to fire again?

Would pumping the primer bulb over and over while it is running keep it running?

I dont have to prime it again , i have try it and it dont change nothing

When it stalls, can you tell if you are losing fuel pressure or spark first?

The pressure is always good at the end of the pressure rail
I would say it's the fire

Can you replacte this failure at home on a hose or does it need to be in the water?

I can do both

Ok, it on the hose so you can get to it, have a timing light on the top plug wire, as the engine runs and begins to die, watch the spark and see if it stops before the engine does. Do the same for the other two cylinders. Also make sure that the plug wires are on the correct cylinders. I know it gets tight on that side of the engine and is easy to get them crossed. If it is losing spark, you are going to need a digital multimeter to do some testing of the stator the the puslar coils.

Ok i will try That

Great. Let me know hoe it goes and we can go from there.

I dont have enough running Time to clearly say witch one die first

Did you happen to buy fuel right before this started?

No and i have the same problem with new and old fuel , i think the ecm may be the problem, i try a ecm from another 25 hp and it work for a day but now it does the same think , first start of the day it run for 4-5 second and every other try after that it only run 1 second

I have seen on a few of these that the fuel pump drivers fail in the ECU. Can you connect the gauge to the engine , then start it and see if it will keep 44 psi as it runs for those few seconds?

Already try that and the pressure is at 44 psi steady

Even when it dies?

the pressure almost didn't drop after 5 minute

Do you have a multimeter and can you back probe a connection?

but not tonight

Thats fine. On the fuel pump. The connector from the engine harness to the VST plug. Back probe that so that when the engine is running you can get a voltage reading. You will not get a reading at just key up. Watch the meter and see if the voltage drops just before the engine dies. If it does, the ECU is the issue.

Ok i will try that thanks

Your welcome.

Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic