Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a hds 5 gen 1 and I would like to network this unit…

Customer Question
I have a hds...

I have a hds 5 gen 1 and I would like to network this unit to my hds8 gen 2 . I would like to "see" on the 5 what the structure scan sees on hds8.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Electronics Specialist can help you best.

I have an Ethernet cable to the structure scan box. I need help networking the two units. I want to see what the console unit hds8 sees on the hds5

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Electronics Specialist should be aware of?

Turns out the hds 5 is gen 1 hds 8 is gen 2. I cant get hds 5 (up front) to "get off" this unit

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Boat
7/31/2017
Marine Mechanic: Matthew John, Marine Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic

Hi my name is***** to JustAnswer ! I will be assisting you.

Just a moment while check how many Ethernet ports available on the HDS 8

Yeah hi,

Because these units are discontinued, I would not be able to guarantee it to work, but I would purchase an Ethernet Cable, connect to one of the two more available Ethernet ports on the Scan Hub, dummy run it to the HDS 5 up the front.

Go to both units, Settings/ Sonar/ Network and tick the check box. Go on a test run to check it out. If it doesn't work...Take the cable back to the store along with the receipt. Or see if now you can run both chart screens from one map card... You can try this, but may need to connect via NMEA... Not a lot to lose to give it a go!

Regards,

Hi there! Just a quick follow up call to see how you went... Feel free to hit us up at any time!

Also, please don't hesitate to let me know of any concerns you may have in the future!

Be sure to hit my Star Rating ! ! ! ! !

All the best!!!

Be sure to hit my Star Rating ! ! ! ! !

All the best with it !!!