Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have twin 1999 VolvoPenta Tamd74P-A engines. The port

Customer Question
I have twin 1999...

I have twin 1999 VolvoPenta Tamd74P-A engines. The port engine had a hard to track intermittent problem which returned a Potentiometer Out of Range error and put it into limp more. Volvo actioned some old recall tasks which made it worse. We have eliminated all suspect wiring connections and checked the voltage and ohms. As a last resort we swapped the ECU with the starboard engine and hey presto problems with the port engine disappeared. Both worked fine for a while but now we are getting a 33 error (coolant) despite coolant being ok. Can I get the ECU reflashed) or is there a way to reset it to clear gremlins? Or should I bite the bullet and replace it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

No, all covered above

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 2 days by:
8/2/2017
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 8 months ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

H​I, sorry for the delay. You can send that unit to Volvo for a reflash through your dealer. They can wipe it clean and put the latest software version in it which may solve the issue. Or it may crash it if there really is a hardware issue causing these faults. If it fixes it, you save some money, if it fails they will not likely charge you anything for the reflash and may give you a discount on the new part.

Boat Doc
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast