Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Have a chartplotter, gps Lowrance, about 4 months oldElite-4…

Customer Question
Have a chartplotter, gps...

Have a chartplotter, gps Lowrance, about 4 months oldElite-4 HDI

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Electronics Specialist can help you best.

Screen clouds up (moisture from inside) takes about 45 minutes to clear in the sunlight---can you replace it for me---#105909539

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Electronics Specialist should know?

Unit otherwise is great

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Boat
7/31/2017
Marine Mechanic: Matthew John, Marine Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic

Hi my name is***** to JustAnswer ! I will be assisting you.

The condensation on the screen is due to moisture entering the unit through the card slot. This doesn't have to be in terms of a hose or being dunked under water. This can come from going from a cool (garage) into a warm place (sunlight) with a rapid change. Have you ever had your sunnies or camera in the air conditioning then gone outside in hot or humid weather? Same thing.
Then it collects on the screen as it is the warmest place once in the sun. Generally this alone won't cause any issues with your unit but, if it happens time and time again it could collect water on the circuits.
People often forget as well that if a garage floor is not sealed it is actually a place very high in moisture as it comes through the concrete.
I would always suggest storing your sounders in a dry bag or in the house!

Thank you for your patience in directing your issues for resolve and I am wishful for an outcome that is satisfying.

Please continue in looking for answers herein and you are welcome to let me know of any future concerns you may have.

Be sure to hit my Star Rating ! ! ! ! !

Thank you for your custom!

Regards,

In terms of sealing these units, they are IPX6. Water can ingress in certain conditions through the card slot. The terminals are completely sealed and no moisture can enter the unit through these. So just ensure you care for gear as best you can, HDS is completely different and IPX7, meaning it can handle submersion. This is the reason environmental conditions can cause condensation if not stored properly on any item rated IPX6.

Thanks again

Hi there! Just a quick follow up call to see how you went... Feel free to hit us up at any time!

Also, please don't hesitate to let me know of any concerns you may have in the future!

Be sure to hit my Star Rating ! ! ! ! !

All the best!!!

Be sure to hit my Star Rating ! ! ! ! !

All the best with it !!!