Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert at Just Answer
99497409

We have a Cutwater 30 and this message (s) came up today

Customer Question

We have a Cutwater 30 and this message (s) came up today which incapcitated our boat.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: "Gear automatically set to Neutral" " slip function not available" and then a warning "Gear shift not available"
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: first we lost forward gears then minutes later rear gears
Category: Boat
Expert:  Boat Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi, does your Cutwater have the Volvo D6 engine package?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
435 HP
Expert:  Boat Doc replied 2 months ago.

The engine cannot see your control head. It is a very common problem on the Volvo D6 unfortunately. It is easy to replace, but the part is fairly expensive, there are no internally serviceable parts.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
From what I have read the slip is due to the slow speed trolling option?
Expert:  Boat Doc replied 2 months ago.

Yes, that is the slip function. But most times when you get a gear shift not available it is because of a bad signal from the unit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Turned out to be wire corroded off on the forward gear actuator switch side of the transfer case.
Expert:  Boat Doc replied 2 months ago.

Glad you got it solved. Thanks for the info.