Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert at Just Answer
99497409

I have recently purchased a 1994 Regal 256 Valanti with

Customer Question

Hello, I have recently purchased a 1994 Regal 256 Valanti with 7.4GL Volvo engine and a DP-D1stern drive. First time out on the boat and when I put the stern drive in the Tilt Up position (approaching the shore) it locked into trailer mode and I could not get the drive down. I got the boat back home and when ever I turn on the battery switch the motor continues to run but the stern drive will not move. I made sure the fluid reservoir was at the correct level and am able to bypass the trim relay ( going directly from the battery to the green /down or blue /up wires on the motor and get the drive to go up and down. I checked the first relay and do not get any clicks when checking from power to ground, I only get .9 resistance on the Ohm meter on the relay terminals 85 and 86 on the relay so I believe that the relay is bad. I have ordered two relays and am waiting for them to arrive to put them on. In the mean time is there anything else I should check, (Trim / tilt switchs on the side mount control unit) or something that I may be missing. Thanks,
Semper Fi ***** *****
Category: Boat
Expert:  Boat Doc replied 2 months ago.

O​n a boat that old I would bet you have a switch failed internally. Do you have the trailer switch on the dash?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have two switches one mounted on the inside (trim) and one on the outside (tilt) of the Control unit. The unit is a Morse single lever side mount control modelMNS-D. If the switch failed could it be stuck in the up position? Before I disconnected the relay the trim motor would run and not shut off until I either disconnected the motor from the relay or shut off the master battery switch.
Expert:  Boat Doc replied 2 months ago.

Yes, either switch could be shorted. You can disconnect the dash one pretty easy, the one in the control will be behind the side panel. I would disconnect one at a time and see if it stops trying to raise.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I'll give that a try this afternoon and keep you posted
Expert:  Boat Doc replied 2 months ago.

Okay.