Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have recently purchased a 1994 Regal 256 Valanti with

Customer Question
Hello, I have recently purchased...
Hello, I have recently purchased a 1994 Regal 256 Valanti with 7.4GL Volvo engine and a DP-D1stern drive. First time out on the boat and when I put the stern drive in the Tilt Up position (approaching the shore) it locked into trailer mode and I could not get the drive down. I got the boat back home and when ever I turn on the battery switch the motor continues to run but the stern drive will not move. I made sure the fluid reservoir was at the correct level and am able to bypass the trim relay ( going directly from the battery to the green /down or blue /up wires on the motor and get the drive to go up and down. I checked the first relay and do not get any clicks when checking from power to ground, I only get .9 resistance on the Ohm meter on the relay terminals 85 and 86 on the relay so I believe that the relay is bad. I have ordered two relays and am waiting for them to arrive to put them on. In the mean time is there anything else I should check, (Trim / tilt switchs on the side mount control unit) or something that I may be missing. Thanks,
Semper Fi ***** *****
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Boat
7/31/2017
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 11 months ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

O​n a boat that old I would bet you have a switch failed internally. Do you have the trailer switch on the dash?

I have two switches one mounted on the inside (trim) and one on the outside (tilt) of the Control unit. The unit is a Morse single lever side mount control modelMNS-D. If the switch failed could it be stuck in the up position? Before I disconnected the relay the trim motor would run and not shut off until I either disconnected the motor from the relay or shut off the master battery switch.

Yes, either switch could be shorted. You can disconnect the dash one pretty easy, the one in the control will be behind the side panel. I would disconnect one at a time and see if it stops trying to raise.

Ok I'll give that a try this afternoon and keep you posted

Okay.