Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2005 four winns horizon with 5.0 Volvo penta. It

Customer Question

I have a 2005 four winns horizon with 5.0 Volvo penta. It intermittently won't start (no crank) wiggle the start relay on top of motor where fuse panel is located and will crank and start. I have replaced the relay but continues to act up.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Remove the relay and inspect the relay connections for any corrosion. Clean and make sure to use some dielectric grease on the connections when you reinstall the relay. If you still have an issue we will have to remove all the connections from the relay holder and replace the connectors.

Can you post a pic of the relay holder? I might be able to see an issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have already cleaned and used di electric silicon with same results
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Ok is the start circuit acting up now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
wiggle relay and will occasionally crank.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Ok without wiggling the relay check voltage on the yellow/red terminal of the start solenoid on the starter when key is in crank position. What is your voltage reading?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
replaced relay and worked ok for about 1 hour and then acted up again
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

This is an indication of a bad connection. We need to verify the voltage to the relay when it is acting up. Test voltage on the red wire when key is in crank position. What is your voltage reading?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
im not at boat at this time, but would assume no voltage to starter
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no click no noise at all
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

We can't assume anything. This could be poor voltage supply to the relay. This is why I ask to check the connectors. If one of the connectors is loose at the relay it will cause resistance and start issues. The only way to know is by doing the tests I outlined.

No click or no noise is no voltage due to bad wire or connections.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
will have to go check and get back to you
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Ok let me know what you find. All symptoms point to connections at the relay.

Thank you....Tan