Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Dt 65 hp Suzuki 2 stroke jet prop not accelerating smoothly.

Customer Question
Dt 65 hp Suzuki...

Dt 65 hp Suzuki 2 stroke jet prop not accelerating smoothly. Seems to snap in at half throttle. Almost wants to die out before getting it to half throttle(tiller). Will eventually run wide open for about 2 minutes and then act like one cylinder drops out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Engine sat for for about 20 years prior to me putting it on my boat last year. I removed all three carbs and and completely cleaned last year. It ran great for all of the approximate 3 hrs of run time last year. I ran out all the gas from engine before winter storage. Put it in water this year with fresh fuel and topped off the oil ( oil injected) added one ounce of sea foam per gallon of fuel as well.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/30/2017
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

What year is the engine?

I believe a 1987

Check the linkage going to all 3 carbs and ensure that they are all opening at the same time and one is not lagging behind the others. Also do a compression test on the engine. You would be looking for readings of at least 90 PSI on all 3 cylinders.

Did that. Everything looks good. Up around 115psi on all 3

Compression is really good for an older engine.

Do you have a multimeter?

Do see today some crud in filter bowl. Nothing in pump and diaphragms appear ok

debris in the bowls can work its way into and out of the jets when the engine is running and fuel is flowing. If everything is cleaned out now, including the fuel filter, it may be worth a run to see if that did the trik for you before going into a lot of electronic testing on this engine.

I have a multimeter and am relatively proficient with it

I feel that you should run the engine first to see if getting the debris from the carb did the trick.

Gotcha. It appears that the filter is one molded piece. I will have to order one.

Should look like this one. You can remove the outer cup. then clean the filter element inside it.

Just seems odd that it would run wide open for about 2 minutes straight and then all of a sudden seem to drop a cylinder and run like that consistently. It did this same scenario over and over
Maybe I have a chunk of crap in one of my carb bowls. Hopefully it's that simple.
Motor probably doesn't have more than 20 running hours in its life

Sitting is the worst possible thing for an outboard engine. They need to be run. IF you get the engine to drop out like before, have a timing light with you and check for spark on alll 3 cylinders. It could be possible that you are losing spark to one of them, or maybe even the TPS is acting up at that RPM range.

Yep you're correct. Filter bowl unscrewed. Very very little crap in bowl. Screening filter looked good clean and untarnished
TPS? Throttle positioning switch?

Great. now just need a lake run.

Yes, for an early 2 stroke, Suzuki used a throttle position sensor on these engines.

Parts 14 and 16. Made them way more complex than they needed to be back then.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Suzuki/Outboard/1987/DT65CRLH/CARBURETOR/parts.html

FYI. I took this engine off the original prop lower unit from another boat and put it on my jet pump lower unit. My original engine was a 55hp dt Suzuki. Still using the same original jet lower unit. Don't know if this info is useful to you

Changing to a jet engine will reduce the HP of the engine and cold possible over speed the engine as prop engines are ran at lower RPM then jet engines.

Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic