Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Have a Yamaha 150 outboard two-stroke motor accidentally…

Customer Question
Have a Yamaha 150...

Have a Yamaha 150 outboard two-stroke motor accidentally started it with the Tilt motor tilted up too high when take off now leaking oil and

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Started the boat with the Tilt up and engaged it and now it is leaking oil and smoking

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Boat
7/30/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? What model number is ***** Yamaha? What kinds of questions did you have?

160 aeto
Heather Dennis motor was in water tilt up a little bit started it put it in drive now it is smoking and leaking oil

I assume you mean a 150 AETO, is that correct? What kinds of questions did you have for me?

that is correct started the motor with the tilt and brother-in-law took off down the lake it is now smoking and leaking oil

I understand that it's smoking and leaking oil, but I am not there to see where the oil is leaking from. Did you pull the cover off and look for the leak? What kinds of questions did you have for me?

Out the exhaust

????????

Did you pull the engine cover off to see if oil was leaking out of the top of the bottle?

It is also leaking out the top of the bottle

Is it leaking out of the top of the bottom still with the engine tilted back down?

Marine Mechanic: Matthew John, Marine Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic

Hi my name is***** to JustAnswer ! I will be assisting you.

Hi there, I provided in the attachment a pic to direct you in sealing your oil bottle.

It should be a quick fix and then you can take it for a run and further monitor.

Just use a Zip Tie to secure the rubber for the Sender/ Filter Unit. Check top of illustration.

Thank you for your patience in directing your issues for resolve and I am wishful for an outcome that is satisfying.

Please continue in looking for answers herein and you are welcome to let me know of any future concerns you may have.

Be sure to hit my Star Rating ! ! ! ! !

Thank you for your custom!

Regards,

What about it leaking out of the exhaust also

I would just give a check over all oil lines and connections with a torch in the lower pan, engine block, oil pump and so on. Then, degrease the entire area. Then, test run the engine and monitor from there.

I will be in touch.

Thanks!

Re: Oil leak from exhaustPlease check the linkage between the throtle and oil pump. If this has become disconnected, the oil pump will be at maximum flow all the time, hence over oiling.
Thanks!

Hi there! Just a quick follow up call to see how you went... Feel free to hit us up at any time!

Also, please don't hesitate to let me know of any concerns you may have in the future!

Be sure to hit my Star Rating ! ! ! ! !

All the best!!!

Be sure to hit my Star Rating ! ! ! ! !

All the best with it !!!