Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

1 changed my 2002 merc 60 hp voltage regulator for the third…

Customer Question
1 changed my 2002...

1 changed my 2002 merc 60 hp voltage regulator for the third time and his not charging anymore the fuse burned .is the magneto can be involved to cause that trouble

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

First mercury recall to change this regulator on warranty .since that time i have to change it every 2 or five years

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

I don't think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
7/30/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? It's possible, but not likely, and there are other more likely things that would cause it. Is there any kind of battery switch between the outboard and battery, or do the battery cables connect directly to the battery? How many batteries are on the boat? Does the battery ever get charged while connected to the outboard? What kind of nuts are on the battery terminals? (wingnuts or something else?)

hi my name his normand.no switch ,cables connect on the battery ,1 battery, not charged when connected to motor,stainless nuts on terminal
i don't speak or so little in english i prefer e mail

Hi Normand. Okay good. Do you have a volt meter so we can test the battery cables themselves and make sure that they are not a problem.

Okay we are going to do 2 different sets of measurements. Take your meter negative lead and stick it to the battery positive terminal. Take the meter positive lead and stick it to the other end of the positive battery cables where it connects at the engine. Turn the key to start to crank the engine over, and record the reading. Do the same thing for the negative battery cable and let me know what you get for both sets of readings.

I never heard back from you. How did you make out?

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic