Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2005 seadoo rxt, throwing code 1502 & 1517, it's…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 seadoo...
I have a 2005 seadoo rxt, throwing code 1502 & 1517, it's been sitting up for a while and i've been working to get it back going.. so far i've replaced the wiring harness, the MPEM, ECU, and I've changed the TOPS switch... I've ohmed the tops solenoid it's reading 2.0 ohms, and i've ohmed the pressure switch below the tops solenoid, it's reading 0.1 ohms
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Boat
7/30/2017
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Thanks

Code 1517 is the compass, you can disable it in the setting menu. 1502 it for the TOPS. Test for continuity between pins 2-2 and B-9 on the ECU. The TOPS sensor could also be mounted upside down or is reading that way.. This would also set off the code.

Sensor is brand new oem, and is upright... just to be clear, undo the wiring harness from the ECU and check the actual pins on ECU 2-2 and B-9 for continuity?
I may need help locating 2-2, the two plugs on the ECU are clearly labeled A @ B, each has 41 pins that are labeled... so B-9 was easy to locate. not sure how to find 2-2
okay, so only B-9 goes to the ECU, 2-2 runs into the tops switch, next to where B-9 leaves the tops switch going to the ECU..... key on I have continuity between 2-2 and B-9... what next

Are any of the ECU output pins bent?

Sorry for the delay, I was on a phone call.

Also check the fuse in the MPEM. It is the top fuse in the left side fuse holder when looking down at the MPEM. It should be a 10A.

no worries... none of the pins are bent and no signs of corrosion on the plugs @ the ECU
fuse is good, power probe shows 12v on each post of the fuse with key on the dess post

When you install the key switch to the post, can you hear the TOPS clicking?

TOPS solenoid is kicking on when key put on dess... I've already ohmed out that solenoid and am getting 2.0 ohms

Remove the TOPS and make sure that the retaining washer is not dislodged or unlocked from the piston shaft.

This is all straight from the service manual for your ski.

okay, give me a few

Sure thing.

washer is on, piston moves freely....

Have you cleared all codes and then seen if the TOPS code comes back?

i've tried clearing with candoopro but they either won't clear or come right back immediately.is there a way to manually clear them?

Not that I am seeing in the manual. Would you like the link to it?

they have to be coming right back, i've unplugged a few things on it and it threw additional codes, but when I cleared them out with that candoo all but the 1517 and 1502 would clear
i've looked through the manual online and got aggravated lol

LoL. I cannot see a reason for that code to still be on unless the ECU that you have is faulty. The compass fault, you can turn off the compass or make sure that it is plugged in. That one is simple.

Have you looked for sites that will test the ECU for the ski and see if there are any faults inside it. It is possible to get a bad one even from brand new. This is the manual Im using.

http://seadoomanuals.net/download/pdf/service/manuals/2005/2005-seadoo-4-tech-shop-manual.pdf

It is after 1AM here and I need to call it a night. I can check back in with you tomorrow and see if wither of us can come up with anything.

I replaced the ECU with a used one ($550 used) vs. a new one for $1000.... I do have a RXP the same year ( 2 seater ) but when I put the ECU in the RXT i'm working on it throws a bunch of different codes, 1517 and 1502 included :-(
okay friend, sounds good. Thanks

The only bad thing with a used part is that it my have a bad TOPS reading it and that is why it was sold. Give a place like this one a call and see if they can test the ECU, bith the new and your old one.

http://rd-performance.com/newProducts/seadoo/spark.asp