Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a Yamaha 200 hpdi, after ancoring one Night in High…

Customer Question
Hi guys, i have a...
Hi guys, i have a Yamaha 200 hpdi , after ancoring one Night in High waves , it refuses to go over 1700 rpm , it starts to smoke , i guess it is because it still Feeds full loop Oil and the mix gets very fat. I have looked at the filter in VST filter everything seems very clean in there
During the dismount of the VST housing i had to disconnect two wires connected to a floader censor (i Think ) but without being 100 percent sure i Think one of the wires had fallen OFF
I checked the water separator filter and another fore- filter, there was nothing wrong there .
I Have no reason to believe that the mistery filters are clogged up, AS it has only run 80 hours since replacement , i strongly believe it dosnt get enough fuel , AS it Can NOT take thrust when running in neutral (on 4 cylinders) but when in gear ( on 6 cylinders) Can get to about 1700 rpm.
I notised that it has 2 fuel pumps , Can there be anything there?
Kind Regards
Jan from Denmark
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Boat
7/30/2017
Marine Mechanic: Matthew John, Marine Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic

0
false
18 pt
18 pt
0
0
false
false
false/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-ansi-language:EN-US;}

Hi my name is***** will be assisting you.

I think to begin with we should test or isolate as many things as we can that are relatively simple, using minimal test equipment.

It looks like you feel that the problem is within the performance of the High Pressure Fuel Pump, so we will get to that... From memory they run around 700 PSI and this is measured by the Fuel Pressure Sender on the HP-Mechanical Fuel Pump (belt driven). The pressure reading will only be displayed within the Yamaha Diagnostic System's software via a lop-top.

You are able to hack into the circuit of the Pressure Sender to check the voltage. Procedure; Probe voltmeter leads at the plug connecting to the sensor, Between the Pink and Black wires. Voltage spec. is 2.8 to 3.2 volts with the engine running.

First, make sure the engine is charging and has sufficient battery voltage, around 12.5 to 14 volts (engine running).

Check for any "Check Engine Warnings" flashing on the engine display (gauges).

Use an automotive type Fuel Pressure Gauge to measure fuel pressure at the VST around 50 PSI.

Check fuel quality, fuel fines, filters and filter head units, make sure there is no air is leaking into the fuel supply lines. There is usually up to 2.5 InHg vacuum in the supply lines under high fuel demand so make sure all connections are tight and no restrictions present.

Use a portable fuel tank to isolate possible fuel supply problems.

Another thing is we can check the O2 Sensor later... I'm not sure if that can cause the symptoms you are referring to but can be possible, and it seems there is no Fault Code (alarm) for a faulty O2 sensor.

Also check your fuse block for any blown fuses.

You also mention something of... May still be running on 4 cylinders in forward... You can disconnect and test continuity of switch when manually operated. There are two switches and they are located where the shift cable is connected.

While engine is not running, operate the throttle and see if it is going to the wide open position. Just be sure to spin the prop when shifting into gear when engine is not running.

I can send you some supporting pics to assist you in checking some of these things in the mean time.

Regards,

Here are some pics for you to follow if need be.

Let me know if you require any further info!

Best of luck with it!

Hey ya,

Thank you for your patience in directing your issues for resolve and I am wishful for an outcome that is satisfying.

Please continue in looking for answers herein and you are welcome to let me know of any future concerns you may have.

Be sure to hit my Star Rating ! ! ! ! !

Thank you for your custom!

Regards,

Hi Matt , i neet time to try out ur suggestions, it May be within a week or to , ill then get back ti you, i have the software to connect to engine.By the Way it Runs on all 6 cyl when in gear.RegardsJan

Thanks mate! I'll be here.