Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

This question is for the boat mechanic G, who I have used

Customer Question

This question is for the boat mechanic Jeff G, who I have used before.Jeff, motor has been running great, better than ever after we took off all of the idling crap. This past weekend was at the lake and the tilt started going up by itself. Took me a while to get the lid off the motor and it was flooded creating a short in the motor's tilt unit. I found a house with a T in it and another hose that looks like it was attached to that hose. The main house went to the motor, not surprisingly. However, the hose that looked like it went off the T actually went back up through the wire harness and into the boat deck. I have no idea where it went. IN that I was stuck in the middle of the lake, I decided to hook that hose back up becasue it wsa the ony way to keep the motor compartment from flooding, I didn't have anouther way to get it out of the motor. Well, made it back to the dock, but by the time i did it looked like only steam coming out the back port for the water pump. I haven't had a chance to look at it since, but frankly wouldn't know where to start. I put some dielectric spray into the tilt switch, it is getting the water pump lines hooked back up correctly that matters presently.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Jeff has been inactive here on the site for two months. I can assist you if you wish.

Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 months ago.

What motor are we looking at?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jeff,I've been traveling all last week. I have a 150 Mercury Black Max on a pathfinder boat. The motor is from the 90's I think. I've asked you questions on this in the past if you have access to that history.Thanks!Barry
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a water pressure gauge in the dash? A picture would help.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No. This is an old school boat. See pics. The stainless tightner is the hose. I know I probably need to switch that out to zip tie, but that's what I had on me at the time.Barry
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, this is an oldschool boat. The stainless tightner connects the hose. I know I should probably swap out that tightner for a zip tie, but that's what I had on the lake.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 months ago.

You have a fitting on the adapter plate under the cylinder head. It goes up to the top of the cylinder head with a small T fitting inline. The output of this T fitting goes to the overboard indicator, the "pee" fitting. It's had to tell from your picture exactly. Does this make sense to you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The straight part of the T goes into the block head. An exit portal from there goes out through the pee hole. The part with the stainless tightner, that hose goes back up past the transom and then turns and goes into the deck along with the other wires. That is the one I am asking about.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 months ago.

The only reason for a hose going into the boat is a water pressure gauge. You say you don't have one? What kind of boat is it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
98 Pathfinder 18'10". Perhaps it had one at one time. There is a section blocked off on the center console. That explains what that was. So, frankly, it does not appear to matter. I wonder why I was only spitting out steam when I got off the lake. I didn't notice any leaks anywhere. Could my impeller have gotten fried?
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 months ago.

There are 3 main components of the cooling system, the water pump, the thermostats and the poppet valve. I recommend replacing the impeller in the pump every other year unless used in harsh conditions. The thermostats every few years and the poppet valve every 5 years.

Check that line again as make sure it goes from the adapter plate up to the thermostats with the pee hose T off it. Forget any hose to the boat.

If your poppet valve or impeller are old, replace them right away. You can get kits for both at any marine store. I would check the pump first as you may not need a whole pump but just the impeller. If any burning, rubber transfer inside, then get a new pump kit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
oh... yeah. I only had the boat out once so far this year. sigh. I'll try this, but it will take me a bit to get to it. Thanks.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if you need help. Thanks