Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

It would not accelerate so I said its not getting enough…

Customer Question
It would not accelerate...

It would not accelerate so I said its not getting enough fuel so I hooked it up to the water hose at home took the cover off the top of engine an pinched the fuel return line an it runs awesome .does that mean the regulator is bad

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/29/2017
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

What is the year, make and model of your engine?

It's 2010 Yamaha 115 4 stroke
I guess I just need to no how much the fuel pressure is supposed to be

Your fuel pressure should run between 32-36 PSI of this engine. You will need a gauge that can screw onto the test post and measure it. It would be a lack of volume and not pressure that is causing it to run bad.

When was the last time that all the filters were changed?

It just came out of the of the marine shop getting ALL new lines all new filters an New plugs an they also changed the oil

Did they also replace the filters in the injectors?

Didn't no there was a filter inside the injector

Each injector does have a small filter inside it. If these were replaced with one that is too small, in microns, it would effect the running of the engine. One one engine I had to pull the filters out of the injectors to get it to run correctly again. Before digging into them, I would ask the shop if they replaced them or not.

As fats as I no they did NOT change filters inside of injectors.... is there a special tool to take apart the injector? I no I have cleaned them before on automobiles with carb cleaner an applying 12 volts to open the injector

You do not need to take the injector apart. Just remove them and look inside the inlet to see if there is a filter there. If there is and you wish to remove it, I insert a wood screw into them and then just pry them out. Then reinstall the injectors.

I rigged a ball valve up on the return line after the regulator an I pinched the fuel back until it runs good... it runs excellent in the water!!! I guess what I'm saying is if all the filters have been changed an all the fuel lines then if you say it's a lack of volume then it's a possibility that the fuel pump may be weak!!! If the filters in the injector or not bad

Have you checked the fuel pressure going to the fuel rail?
Has the engine been sitting for some time?

Yeah yesterday I checked it an it was 35psi an it was running horrible an instantly when I pinched the return line the fuel pressure shot up to 65psi an it will idle an run under a load in the water PERFECT!!! But that still tells me nothing other than its starving for fuel!!! I tried taking the regulator off an looking at it but didn't find anything

If either grommet 24 or 25 are torn or not aligned correctly, this would reduce the volume of the fuel to the injectors. to check them you would need to open and inspect the VST.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/2006%20and%20Later/F115LA_061/FUEL%20INJECTION%20PUMP%201/parts.html

Not sure what 24 or 25 gromett is?

Click on the link I sent. They are the two seals on the high pressure pump that ensure all of the pressurized fuel makes it into the fuel rails.

Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic