Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft
Experience:  Product Specialist Kawasaki Factory Support 24 Years, 8 years National Technical Director IJSBA
30381042

1999 Kawasaki SXi 1100 PWC was lent out. Reported ran great

Customer Question

1999 Kawasaki SXi 1100 PWC was lent out. Reported ran great for 3 hours. I'm sure it was run to the extreme. Friend idled quite a ways to marina for fuel. Filled up tank with pre-mix. (oiler has been disabled) Idled back out to open water, hit throttle wide open-NOTHING just bog. Only idle speed. Upon receiving ski back I checked spark (ok). Compression (140 psi all 3 cyl). Drained tank and changed out fuel filter in case of contaminated gas. I'm an old man so I only tested on trailer backed into a lake. Same result. Idles but anything off idle engine bogs to nothing.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am I speaking to ?

Can I get the hours that are currently on this unit and if I can get the Hull # that way I can pull the proper manual and I check for any outstanding bulletins.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Kenny,
Vin # KAW30174H899 Mod# ***** Got this ski from a young man and his father that said was totally rebuilt with some performance enhancements and had been properly broken in with just 12 hours of post break in hours. I considered the source but can't prove status. I'm a senior so ski is for grandkids to play with. I just work on their toys. I'm Greg
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did notice the fuel entering into the carbs when I advanced the throttle. It appears that it just kinda "drools" down the throats. In automotive carbs I'm used to observing a "shot" or stream of fuel along with a fine fan shaped spray. Perhaps this carb setup atomizes the fuel downstream of the throttle butterfly??? Plugs are wet but could have been caused by my repeated attempts to open throttle.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 2 months ago.

Thanks Greg, great info !!!

Couple of things, compression appears to have some head work, these are normally about 125 PSI.

If you have the total hours that I would like also, this will give me an idea what state the stator might be in.

Not sure what you are seeing when observing when looking the carbs, but that sound somewhat normal.

So here is what I need you to check initially, something in your original statement, he idled a long way in five mph zone, I need you to check all the exhaust hoses, inspect for ANY leaks water or exhaust, pay close attention to the hose that connects the muffler (attached to the exhaust manifold) to the waterbox, located on the l/h side of ski towards the back, that hose that connects those two parts gets burned from the inside when going slow from the pump not pumping enough water (pressure down) when going through no wake or long 5 mph zones.

Next check the big hose that connects the waterbox to the outside of the hull, these hoses when water deprived will blister on the inside and then will block off exhaust when pressure builds in the exhaust.

Also I have seen where baffles can break loose in the water box and cause obstructions when under power.

By the way, you know you cant have ANY exhaust leaks when the unit is running, so run the ski n a flush and observe for any water or exhaust smoke.

This is a good place to start, if we come up with nothing we'll continue.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As I mentioned before I was told 12 hours of post break in hours plus the 3+ hours my acquaintance used it until the problem. Yes they told me head work was done by certified Kawasaki PWC mechanic. Other mods I simply don't know. Was told by friend this ski could almost keep up with his brother's Kawasaki STX 15F before problem. That tells me nothing but may be of interest to you because of your knowledge in marine fare. Raining badly in my area so may take awhile to check these items out. Thanks for now.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 2 months ago.

Thanks Greg, I'll be around this weekend

Kenny