Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Chaparral 2008 264 Sunesta 377 Mag Bravo Mercruiser engine -

Customer Question
Chaparral 2008 264 Sunesta 377 Mag...
Chaparral 2008 264 Sunesta
377 Mag Bravo Mercruiser engine- Every time we throttle up and take off, the engine sensor indicator comes on the dash with two red lights (no beeping sound heard).- The digital readout can be cleared by pressing enter.- Two red light will go off if you throttle back to idle.- Been to three different boat mechanics, but nobody can figure out why this is happening.- All fluid levels are full. Boat has regular seasonal service. Temperature on boat in normal range always.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/27/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​I Christopher, my name is***** read what you wrote. Which digital readout do you have, and what is the message displaced on that screen?

SmartCraft...Engine Sensor (flashing)

Do you have the round gauge, the tachometer with the LCD in the bottom window?

If you hit the up or down arrows on the bottom of the gauge it should spit out more info, code numbers, and more code text. Are you near the boat now to check this?

I do not believe we have, but the other mechanics said the error code is generic and it could be "one of 19 things". We are not by the boat right now either.

Okay how is it I can help you here?

We ran into a brick wall with three other technicians. So, we are hoping you can help us. I will convert this answer to a call so we can dive in deeper. My mom (Leisa) will be the one working with you, as this is her boat.

I'm not sure I can help you without knowing exactly which code is being presented on the display. There are no time limits here. Can you get the specific code out of the display and get back to me later on?

we will be putting the boat in the water this weekend and will look for the codes. Anything else we should do that you can think of?
I can try to get the info tomorrow evening. Do you want me to get back with you Saturday or Monday?

All you need to do is first duplicate the problem. And then once that happens hit the up and down buttons on the tachometer and copy down word for word exactly what the screen says. Just don't try to abbreviate any of the information on the display, I would need to you write it down letter by letter, number by number, word by word, and then let me know exactly what it says. There are not time limits here so lets start with that and we will go from there.

Ok great. I'll be back on the boat Saturday morning and can duplicate the issue then get back with you. Thanks so much. Leisa

You are very welcome. Keep me posted.

Ok

Have a great day.

Thanks you too!

Definitely.

Hello. How did you make out?

I was on the boat personally this weekend and I will state that the information guage provides zero feedback as to what the engine error can be. Cycling through the up/down arrow simply takes you to other functions like RPM, voltage, etc...there is no way to see error detail. Attached is a photo of the gauge style.
Hi Jason,
We're still trying to figure out how to get the codes from digital readout. Our Smartcraft is Square not round as I originally said. It is the .36 version. When the engine sensor digital readout comes on, we are not able to arrow up/down to get additional info. It just flashes "Engine sensor" over and over. The only way to stop the "Engine Sensor" reading is the return throttle to neutral. We tried both Saturday and Sunday. We also tried to find a manual online but no success. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.
Marine Mechanic: Matthew John, Marine Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic

Hi my name is***** to JustAnswer ! I will be assisting you.

When you get the "Engine Sensor", is there a pattern to it?? It may be flashing a code or multiple codes. If it's flashing multiple codes... You will get a longer pause in between each 2 digit code it will be showing. For codes 14 and 33 it will display like this __|___|_|_|_|________|_|_|___|_|_|________ Something like that... And cycle over.

Let me know if you have any success with that.

Regard,

I see. So the code is in the light flashing pattern. We will have to put the boat on the water again and record this.
The display does not show digital codes of any kind by the way.

Ok, great! See how you go and let me know!

Matthew John
Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic