Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Have a 1996 Mercury 175 EFI. Engine starts and runs when I

Customer Question

Have a 1996 Mercury 175 EFI. Engine starts and runs when I launch but will not go fast enough to get on plane. After 15 to 20 minutes of idling along and constantly trying to acceralerate it finally catches and runs like a champ. This may occur 2 or 3 times during the day if I wait long periods without starting. I have replaced fuel lines, filter, spark plugs and been using an additive for ethanol gas for 2 years now.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Engine runs but will not go fast enough to get on plane at first. In 15 to 20 minutes of idling around it will jump up on plane and run great. It may do this 2 or 3 times during the day if I wait long periods before starting, It is a1996 Mercury 175efi
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Would you please post the serial number of the engine?

Have you done a compression test on the engine?