Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Turns over Has spark Good carbs but wont start, If I use

Customer Question

Turns over Has spark Good carbs but wont start
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: If I use ether it makes a few pops but still wont start
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: It started with the spark advance lever snapping.Found out a stator screw came loose and lodged in flywheel Repolaced stator and flywheel with used parts from ebay . Its an 89 40 hp johnson electric start
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Would you please post the full model number of the engine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
E40ELCUD
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just paid 26 Dollars on paypal
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

The 26 was just the question fee for us to get to chat. It was only a 1 time fee unless you want a phone call. It covers all the back and forth tht you and I will have in getting your engine running.

do you still want to continue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Its late here and I work tomorrow so I cant chat too much tonight and its dark out,so the 26 dollar phone call will have to wait until I have time to chat So much for an answer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
far far I have NOTHING for 26 dollars
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

When you get to the engine there a few tests that I need for you to do to make sure that it is going to run. Many of the special tools can be rented from a chain auto parts store if you do not have them. You will need a compression tester, and an adjustable gap spark tester. There is no magic dart that I can throw at the engine and make it work. I need you to do a few tests and then from there I can tell you exactly what is wrong with it and how to fix it.

So far for your 26, you have a person to work with who is a professional outboard tech,and does it for a living, not just on a computer.

Moving to the phone is entirely up to you, we can do the entire process in chat if that is what you feel we need to do. I am good with it either way.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok thats better let me get those. If its going to require a phone call I need to have the time to spend on the phone. I also need to be able to see. Thank you Will get back to you when I have those tools Need to borrow
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

It may not require a phone call at all. I do many by just being online with the customer. You just need to be able to chat back and forth with me as you go, just like tonight.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok need to get the tools and its late so I will contact you tomorrow Thank You
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Your very welcome. I normally log on around 10 AM CST, and have to be away from 230-4 Pm but other than that I am on here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have compression tester and gap tool. Won't get to it until tomorrow or Saturday am
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

No worries. I will be online on Sat as well.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Spark good past 25. Compression bad 25 and 30 pulled the head. Gasket pretty bad shape but no holes in metal rings
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Head bolts very easy to turn
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

How do the cylinder walls look. Can you post a few pics here for me to see?

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can't send pics I took on iPhone. I added and they sit at bottom of reply but won't send?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I guess they just sent
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

The bottom of the cylinder walls dont look too bad. I cant see the top side. The gasket on the other hand...WOW it is toast. If you look close at one of the cylinders, you can see where it was blowing out of the head. I think that if you clean al that up really good, replace that gasket and get the head torqued on properly this engine may still have some life left in it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you I hope that's it because the 28 year old motor isn't worth getting much more involved. I hope to have this done tomorrow. I will let you know how I make out. Thank you
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Your very welcome. If the top side of the cylinders looked as clean as the bottom side, as in no deep scoring, I think that you should be able to get up to about 85 to 90 PSI compression and that is enough to run the engine on.

A head gasket is not that much and just some elbow grease to clean everything up could get you by for the rest of this season at least.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have new gasket. What are torque specs and sequence. #1 should be center left correct?
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

The spec is between 216-240 Inch lbs. Divide by 12 to get Ft pounds. Start toward the center middle of the head and work criss cross. After doing 1 and 2, move up to the next 2 bolts do them, then go below the first two bolts and do those. Do this for the entire head. After all bolts are tight, I go once over all of them again just to ensure that I have them all torqued and one did not come loose.

When tightening the bolts, make sure that you have a fell for the threads inside the block. Stripping one is not the end of the day, but it does put a delay on things when it has to be drilled out and a Heli-coil installed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks I was told between 18 and 20 but wanted to check with you. That works out
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Your welcome.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I might have a bad compression tester. Go figure. I put it on my lawn mower and got no pressure. My lawn mower runs fine. I'll get back to you
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Check the valve in the end of it. It is a regular valve like a tire.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Excellent info. Thank you
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Was the valve loose or stuck?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Got it to work. 35 to 40 in both cylinders. I'm thinking rings
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not going there with an 89
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Pull the head and see if it is just a blow head gasket. This will also allow you to inspect the cylinders for any scoring.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1987/E40ELCUD/CYLINDER%20&%20CRANKCASE/parts.html

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did that and sent you the pics
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Sorry, forgot about that.

With that compression did you get on the mower if you tried it on it again?

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Could be a bad gauge and renting one from a chain auto parts store may be the last resort for this engine.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Has spark won't start. Starting fluid only pops
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

I would say that it is time for a newer engine.