Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2005 Yamaha 4 - stroke with under 200 hours. Engine

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2005 Yamaha 4 - stroke with under 200 hours. Engine was running fine but then stopped running and would not re-start. Got back to the dock (I have twin engines) and I was able to re-start. It runs fine now. Any ideas?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Earlier in the day we ran into weeds and sand. But it ran fine for a little while afterwards.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Was this just a 1 time incident or has it happened more than once? Did you do anything on your own to troubleshoot the issue such as checking for spark output or checking fuel pressure when this happened? 200 hours is not a lot of hours on a 12 year old engine, how old is the fuel in the tank? When was the last time the filters were all changed on the boat/engine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Engines were just serviced with new plugs, water pumps, oil change. Compressions are all good at 170 t0 175 p.s.i.. Did not happen before. I have not attempted to trouble shoot on my own. .Fuel is good and fresh.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

It could have been any number of things that caused it. There really isn't any way to answer your question without throwing the book at you and covering every possible scenario.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I guess you cant help me?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

I​'m not sure how to help you as the question you asked was very very generic. I hate to say "Ask a generic question get a generic answer" but there are literally a dozen different things that could have caused this. If you had checked spark output and fuel pressure when this happened then we would have something to go one. Did you have a more specific question?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No Jason. Since you cannot help as guaranteed I will be reversing the credit card charge. Thanks for trying.