Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Tan - I have a 2004 Searay Sundancer 300 with two 5.0

Customer Question
Hi Tan - I have a...
Hi Tan -
I have a 2004 Searay Sundancer 300 with two 5.0 Mercruisers. The starboard engine - OM683327 - has a start issue. I seem have no power to the switch. This setup has a key switches in the cabin panel. You switch the key on, turn on the breaker and then a push button start at the helm. This has all worked fine, went out on the water last week and when I came to return nothing when I push the starboard button to start. I usually push the button in, get a long beep, sounds like fuel pump engages and then I start it. I don't get anything now.
Battery alarm is on my starboard smartcraft guage. Got back to dock and took my meter down in the bilge. Battery have full charge. Started tracing voltage. At 50 amp fuse I had 12.9, both sides. Slave solenoid same. I went down and turned key on at the panel. Voltage drops to 3.4 volts. I pulled the panel and here is what I found. Switch lead goes to breaker and then breaker lead goes - assuming to the switch at the helm. I first tested the port side - it works so wanted to see what it should look like. With key off and breaker off no voltage to either side of breaker. With key on and breaker off, voltage to one side. With key and breaker on full voltage on both sides of breaker. Now tested Starboard side. Key and Breaker off, I have no voltage on one side of the breaker but voltage on the lead which I think goes to the helm switch. Now turn key on and breaker off. Voltage drops to 3.4 same as above when I was testing the breaker and slave solenoid. So I'm thinking why do I have power to the lead on the other side of the breaker with switch off? Now I turn panel breaker and key switch of in the cabin. Go back to the Bilge and test voltage again at the 50 amp breaker and slave solenoid - 9.6. Hmm why did it drop? It was 12.9 before I went down and tested panel. That is where I'm at in my troubleshooting. Note - I can not get to the starter and starter solenoid very easily, so I have not tested voltage there. Would love your thoughts and advise.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/25/2017
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

The voltage is there just not enough when you put a load on the circuit. Voltage loss is due to a bad connection or bad breaker. When you test the violtage at the breaker at the panel Do you have voltage till you try to start? If yes test the voltage on both terminals of the circuit breaker when the circuit is loaded crank position?

Will engine crank with emergency parallel switch?

Engine will not crank with emergency parallel switch. At the panel (in the cabin) The breaker should not have any power on either side until you turn the key (from what I can tell - this is how the port side is working) When you turn the key it feeds power to the panel breaker and when you switch the breaker on it now passes power to the other side of the breaker now I can go up to the helm and hit the starter switch and crank (This is how it works on the Port engine) On the Starboard, at the panel in the cabin, with key off and breaker off, I have power to the side of the panel breaker that would typically have power unless the key is switched on and the break is pushed to the on position. This seems wrong. Hope that makes sense.

We have to see why we are loosing voltage at the circuit you had good voltage then loose voltage. Many things don't make sense when we have voltage issues. We need to find why and where your are loosing voltage. Have you checked all battery connection both positive and negative?

Batteries are hooked in parallel. They are driving the Port side w/o issue.
So what do you suggest next steps? Keep tracing the circuit?

It's isn't going to be a wiring issue something wired wrong. It will be a bad connection or bad switch somewhere between the batteries and the panel. I would start with the panel and work your way back to the batteries. Now if you have a bad ground on the stbd engine this can cause an issue like you are having. So you need to check all the battery cable connection on the batteries and the engine. Since you have voltage the boat is wired right unless someone has gone in and changed the wiring. So that leaves a connection or a switch. So with your volt meter Check voltage at panel loaded and unloaded. To load circuit crank engine. If voltage goes away go to the next point of battery source.

I wish I could tell you where the issue is but this is going be be a search for a bad connection or switch.

Here is a link to the owners manual. This manual has wiring diagrams. http://www.searay.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/Company1729/1C1_23_74DEJAKHL4N.pdf

These boats have complicated electrical systems and are difficult to troubleshoot hands on let alone over the internet.

Thank you Tan - I'm going to work my way through the circuit.

Your welcome Jeremy. Just by the one circuit with voltage loss tells us connection or switch.

Thank you........Tan

Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician