Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have an HDS-7 model. I had the system set up so i could

Customer Question

Hi - i have an HDS-7 model. I had the system set up so i could see the chart ahead of me, it was 'course up, in the 'look ahead view'. A friend was trying to set up a Waypoint on the machine and in doing so it changed my view and i can't get the 'gps to follow automatically with the boat. i have the manually change the chart. how can i re-set the system so the 'cursor' is at the bottom and the chart automatically moves as the boat moves. i have tried to do what the manual has indicated and it doesn't work.and in doing that
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Electronics Specialist should know?
Customer: no, i don't believe so
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Have you already reset the settings to factory default?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
likely not, not sure how to do that, i was trying to re-set the unit after we tried to set a Waypoint. but likely not.
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Ok, press the menu button twice, then go to settings, then down to factory defaults. This will not erase anything on the unit, just change all the settings back to original. After this you will need to go into set up and select the correct transducer again to get the side scan working again.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
okay thanks. when you say transducer what does that mean? after setting factory defaults can i then go to chart options and have the gps automatically track my position in the course up, look ahead option?
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

The transducer is what shows you the bottom. If you have the structure scan on your HDS, you will want to select the LSS transducer. For the GPS, It sounds like you will want the North Up option. This will allow the screen to move as the boat does.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
okay, thanks, ***** ***** give it a try, if it doesn't work can i come back to you with questions? it will take me a few days to confirm okay.
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Yes you can come back. Questions here do not close and there are no time limits. Just let me know if you need anything else and I will assist you the best that I can.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks so much
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Your very welcome. Let me know how it goes.