Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

V200 outboard Serial #0T759936 Intermittent spark. Cranks

Customer Question

V200 outboard Serial #0T759936 Intermittent spark. Cranks when i turn the key but wont turn over. Every once in a while it does turn over with the key. Always turns over if i pull start it.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: intermittently has spark
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: not right now
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. How intermittent is the spark? If you go and try and start it right now would there be spark or no spark?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no spark
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its very random yesterday i played for 45 mins no spark. came back later turned the key it started rigt up. shut it down went to start it again and poof no spark again
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a digital volt/ohm meter? Do you know how to take resistance measurments? Are you near the outboard now and ready to solve the problem?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its been going on for a while, always starts when i pull it by hand
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i do know how to use a meter but im not at the boat now
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

You would really have to be near the boat for this to work. There are so many things that need to be checked that I can't possibly cover them all through typing. Do you want to get back with me later when you are near the boat? If not, did you have any questions that you specifically wanted me to answer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ill be there tomorrow can we go over it then?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

that's fine. Just reply back when you are ready and we will take it from there. Best, -Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I never heard back from you. How did you make out?