Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2006 Mercury 4 stroke 115 horsepower. It died while

Customer Question

Good morning, I have a 2006 Mercury 4 stroke 115 horsepower. It died while running in from fishing I have no spark.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I've owned the boat about a year-and-a-half and had it serviced about 6 months ago for losing power when you are underway. They told me it was related to the fuel and made a repair. Now the boat has run fine until Saturday when I was running in and the boat just died. It would not crank again. Seems to have lost its spark.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No that's it.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Good morning my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote.. Mercury outboards are cataloged by serial number. Can I get that number so I can see exactly which version of the 115 you have.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Good morning Jason, my name is***** you give me about 5 minutes and I can go down to the boat and get it. Will that be an issue?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi James. No problem, take your time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
On my way to the boat now.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
115 ecpt
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry I have a 115 EXLPT
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

What i'm looking for is the actual serial number. The format of the serial number is ***** number, 1 letter, 6 more numbers. For example 0A123456, 1A654321 ect ect.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1B261427
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1115f24fy
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
115F23FY
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Okay got it. What kinds of questions did you have regarding the no spark issue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we were running in from scalloping on Saturday and the boat just died didn't backfire or miss it just came to a stop could not recrank it. We got back and tried to turn it over no start. I remove the spark plug and saw no spark when we cranked it over
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

I​'ve got the back story. The ignition system takes a Voltmeter, DVA, and scan tool to diagnose problems with it. Were you looking to try to fix this yourself? Do you have these tools? How is it I can help you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a voltmeter I would like to try to isolate if it's possibly if you can help me with the diag
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

You also need a DVA and more than likely a scan tool as well.

Click this link, this tool is required - https://store.snapon.com/Multimeter-Accessories-Adaptor-Direct-Voltage-P649400.aspx

Click this link, this tool might be needed depending on where the voltage readings lead - http://www.rinda.com/marine/

Do you have either of those tools?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your time. I'll take it to my local service center.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome. I do hope it ends up being something simple/inexpensive for you. Good luck! -Jason