Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My technician recently replaced all the electronics on my

Customer Question

My technician recently replaced all the electronics on my Johnson 1995, 225 hp outboard, cleaned the carbs and rebuilt them where necessary and replaced the throttle bodies on the port side of the engine. The engine runs great for about 10-15 minutes at speeds up to 4000 rpm. The engine then shuts down and will stall when it is cranked and I try to apply power or up the throttle. The engine will sit and idle perfectly. Can you tell me what could be wrong causing the engine to die? We have confirmed that fuel is there and does not contain any water. The engine will run at any rpm as long as it is not in gear. Thanks, Nathan
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No, The other engine on the boat is running very well from the same fuel source. Thanks, Nathan
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 10 days ago.

Ok we need to check spark when the engine looses power. This can be done with a timing light. Run the boat till it acts up then connect timing light to each spark plug wire watch the flash of the timing light. Do you have a steady flash on all cylinders?

Since carbs have been gone through and the fuel is good that leaves us with an ignition issue.