Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2003 Honda 20hp outboard. it starts normally and

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Honda 20hp outboard. it starts normally and runs for maybe 3 minutes at any speed, sounds like it is running rich and quits. You can immediately restate the engine and repeat the sequence. Have gone through carburetor, fuel pump, hoses and tanks. No joy.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: New fuel and different tanks an hoses.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 11 days ago.

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Is this a manual start engine with a traditional choke? Or is this an electric start version?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Electric choke, electric start.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Kurt is the name.
Expert:  Jason replied 11 days ago.

Hi Kurt. Are you near the outboard now for a quick test?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No, but I can be what would you like me to do?
Expert:  Jason replied 11 days ago.

Click this link for a diagram - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2003/BF20D3%20LHTA/CARBURETOR%20(AUTO)/parts.html

In the diagram locate #13. pull the engine cover off, go run the engine for 7 or 8 minutes, and then touch the top of that #13. Let me know if that part is room temperature, or if it is hot to the touch.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The white (choke?) body is noticeably warmer than the throttle body after a few minutes running. (All I could get.)
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Nothing has happened and you have $30 of my money.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have tried different fuel tanks and hoses, replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump. Disassembled the carburetor cleaned, blowed out with compressed air and reinstalled with new gaskets. Nothing seems to help. The last thing I tried was replacing the solenoid choke assembly.