Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a 1973 Mercury 40hp outboard that is pull start, not

Customer Question
electric start. I am not...
I have a 1973 Mercury 40hp outboard that is pull start, not electric start. I am not getting spark and would like to know where to look and what to test to find my problem.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Boat
7/13/2017
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Could I get the engine serial number please?

ok got to the switch box and disconnect the salmon colored wire.The switch box is the one that the ignition coil green wires connect to.

Ok. Sorry took so long. I was away from motor. Now I can look directly at it. I disconnected the salmon wire from the switchbox.

Do you have spark? If yes then you have a bad stop switch or tilt switch.

If no then we have to test the stator and the trigger voltage outputs to the switch box. This will require a peak reading volt meter or DVA adapter to do these tests.

What do I do next?

Do you have spark? Do you have a spark gap tester to check spark at the spark plugs?

If yes then you have a bad stop switch or tilt switch.

No spark

Do you have either of these?

I have a gap tester and I don't get any spark jumping even a 1/16 of a gap
If no then we have to test the stator and the trigger voltage outputs to the switch box. This will require a peak reading volt meter or DVA adapter to do these tests.Do you have either of these?
I have a multi meter
Which do you want me to test first?
Does it need to be analog?

No you can use the DVA adapter with a digital meter.

The green wire coming from the stator to ground. Disconnect the greem wire from the switch coming from the stator.Crank the engine what is your voltage reading.

Green wire from the coil?

Did you read my last statement?

I have a blue and a red wire
I have a wire that comes from the coil back to ground.
I don't see any ground wire from the stator, only the blue and red wires.
Do I need to reconnect the salmon wire? Or do I leave disconnected?
Across the front of my switchbox, I have orange, salmon, white, red, blue wires. The green wires are the ones on either side of the switchbox.
That order is if you look from front of motor, left to right.

Ok test the red wire to ground then the blue wire to ground. These wires need to be disconnected for this test. This is a cranking test.

Hello?
Ok. Delay in responses. Sorry
Disconnect the red and test to ground? Then reconnect and do same with the blue wire?

Correct. These are peak voltage readings.

The site is having issues moving real slow. So bear with me.

Ok

Keep me posted to your findings.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

53 on the red, 9.2 on the blue

What meter are you using? Peak reading or the DVA adapter.

A standard multi meter will not read correctly.

I will have to find a new dva. Mine must be broken.
But I will have to wait to get it. I don't have a store around me readily available with one on the shelf. Ordering one will take a week to get it. I will have to continue after I get it.
What should I be looking for within range for those wires?

Blue to engine ground. 180-400 peak volts and Red to engine ground 25-100 peak volts.

Then you want to test the trigger wires brown to white 0.5+ peak volts. All these test are done wires disconnected and cranking the engine.

If these test good then you have a bad switch box.

Follow up questions are always welcome.

Thank you......Tan

Ok. Thank you for the info. I will get back to you with any other questions.

Your welcome.............Thank you..............Tan

Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician