Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Just install the new power pack and still don't have any

Hi just install the new...
Hi just install the new power pack and still don't have any spark
7/13/2017
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

How did you determine the pack was the problem?

Do you have a peak reading voltmeter?

Could I get the engine model number please?

I asked another Marine Tech on this website his name was Jason and he told me the pack was the problem so I ordered a new one I looked everything up and still no spark

Did you disconnect thew black/yellow wire from the power pack and test for spark?

Did you test the stator with a peak reading voltmeter?

E175STLESE
The stator Reads 940

Ohm tests are not always accurate it can pass an ohm test and still be bad.

The only way to accurately test the stator is do do a voltage output test. This requires a peak reading volt meter or a DVA adapter.

Now we know it isn't the power pack still leaving the stator and the stop circuit.

So we need to eliminate the stop circuit by disconnecting the black/yellow wire from the power pack. Now check for spark. Do you have spark?

I don't see just a Black yellow wire on the powerpack they're all plugged in with plugs

Do you see a black wire with a yellow stripe? Pull that wire out of the plug now check for spark. Spray the wire with WD40 so the wire will slide out of the plug.

Do you mean black with yellow stripe? If yes then the stator is bad.

I do sorry
Can you run to the stater with me one more time to check that
Stupid spellcheck sorry stator
Not stater

Do you have a peak reading volt meter or DVA adapter? A standard meter will not work.

Here is an explanation of what the peak reading volt meter or DVA adapter work. http://www.go2marine.com/productcenters/electrical/2-dva-explained.pdf

I don't know. I would hate to use a meter that doesn't read correctly. Will that meter read peak volts?

Ok then yes it will work. Disconnect the brown and brown/yellow wires from the power pack. Connect the meter between the brown and brown/yellow crank engine what is your voltage reading?

176.9 ac

I have no idea I am not familiar with that meter. I have always used a peak reading volt meter specifically designed for this test. The DVA adapter has to be on DC scale.

Ok it's a new meter to me too
Where do I get one
Ok thanks for all your help I just order one
O hope you get paid for this
Please let me know

Ok let me know when you get the meter and we can do the tests.

I get paid when you positively rate my help.

We can still continue after rating also.

Ok well do

Thank you............Tan

Talk later.

Did you get the DVA yet?

I just got it

Ok unplug the timer base. Then connect the DVA leads to the white and each of the colored leads. Crank engine and see what the voltage reading is. Your meter needs to be on DC volts. What is your reading?

I bought the one that attaches to my voltmeter
It only has red and black

Correct. Just plug it in to your meter. Is this the adapter you purchased? https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71enAMrl5OL._SY550_.jpg

No but it pretty close I looked at that one but in does the exact same thing though
I hooked it up to Brown and brown yellow crank the engine over got 509

That isn't right as it should be 150-400 peak volts.

How does 231 sound

That's more like it. Now we need to test the timer base. white to blue,purple,green cranking what is your reading.

Black/wht to blue/wht,purple/wht,green/wht.

We also need to test the brown/wht to brown/blk.

Brown/white and brown/black I have 210

Ok the stator tests OK. Now the timer base.

White to blue, purple, green cranking what is your reading.

Black/wht to blue/wht, purple/wht, green/wht what is your voltage reading?

If I hook everything up correctly I do not have a reading at all
I went black white/blue and purple to green and crank the motor over no reading

Ok with the timer base unplugged and the black test connected to the white and the red to each of the colored wires in the plug and crank no reading?

Then connect the black meter lead to the black/wht and the red test lead to the blu/wht, grn/wht, pur/wht what is your reading?

If you get no reading then the timer base is the problem.

I don't have a white wire

You should have 2 plugs with colored wires. 4 wires in each plug.

In the plug with the blue,purple, green what is the color of the 4 th wire?

Black / white
Just connected the black test to purple blue and green and for the red test lead I connected that one to black white try cranking engine over still no reading

The black/wht is the common then test each of the colored wires individually correct and you get no reading? If no reading the timer base is bad.

Still no reading

Timer base is bad. Replace the timer base.

Here is a link to your engine parts. #8 is the timer base.http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1990&hp=175&model=E175STLESE&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Ignition+System+-+175+Models

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Thank you...Tan

Did you get the issue resolved?

Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
i did thanks

Ok great.

Thank you.....Tan

But I have another boat that I'm working on that I'm have an electrical issue with

Ok you will have to start another question. Post my name in the question if you would like me to help.

You can post your question here also.https://www.justanswer.com/boat/expert-suntan/

Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician