Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Will stall have changed spark plugs fuel filter and fuel

Customer Question

Will stall have changed spark plugs fuel filter and fuel line.could it be fuel pump and how hard to put it on myself? It is a 187 concept year 1991. Omc 4.3 liter. After it stalls if I pump it a few times it will start maybe run for a couple minutes then die.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 14 days ago.

You will have to do a fuel pump pressure test. Can you do this test?

This could also be a carburetor issue.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No fuel pump pressure tester.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Does it need to go into a marine mechanic
Expert:  Tan replied 14 days ago.

No you can get a gauge fairly cheap. All you need to do for this test is disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor then connect the fuel pressure gauge to the fuel line crank engine. The spec for fuel pressure is 5.75- 7 psi. If fuel pressure is good then the carburetor is the problem.

Here is an example of a fuel pressure gauge.http://www.tooltopia.com/wilmar-w80594.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&adpos=1o5&scid=scplpWLMW80594&sc_intid=WLMW80594&gclid=Cj0KEQjwkZfLBRCzg-69tJy84N8BEiQAffAwqnWb6ff9Tnq4BiWcKDc6ps90gw-Hs866BhE2fWLhr_caAuoF8P8HAQ

Is this something you think you can do?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I will try it.
Expert:  Tan replied 14 days ago.

Ok keep me posted and I can help with the next steps. Depending on what you fine.

Thank you......Tan