Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1992 Reinell with a 3, .with a 3.0 mercruiser

Customer Question

I have a 1992 Reinell with a 3
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: .with a 3.0 mercruiser engine, it stalled and had a little smoke come out, ran but with loss of power
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no, just a loss of power and the smoke, it smelled like plastic burning, turned off the engine, let it cool just in case, and then started it again and no smoke ran but with a little loss of power
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 10 days ago.

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote, how much of a loss in power is there? Will the boat still get up on plane or will it only do a few miles per hour?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Jason, My name is ***** ***** was a little loss, it still was able to get on plane, cruise good at a decent speed but when I gave it full throttle it wouldn/t go faster, I also did a tight turn and noticed smoke that smelled like plastic burning, but that went away
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Id prefer to just text for answers
Expert:  Jason replied 10 days ago.

Hi Luis. Okay got that. The engine is going to need some troubleshooting in order to figure out what is wrong with it. I do not know what you have for tools or engine knowledge. Did you have any questions that you specifically wanted me to answer? Or would you prefer if I explain what we would do in the shop to troubleshoot the lack of power issue?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
no, I guess ill just take it to a shop. Thank you,
Expert:  Jason replied 10 days ago.

Okay no problem, good luck.