Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I've had a new, never in the water Alumnacraft Classic 165

Customer Question

Hi I've had a new, never in the water Alumnacraft Classic 165 with 60 hp Mercury. Both new 2015s & can't get it to plane with 2 adults 250 ea & 1 @ 140. Have factory installed prop..... What's up ? VERY displeased with performance
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: OK that's what I'm looking 4
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had the 250 person all the way on the bow & boat only hit 4200 RMPs without planing
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Look on the clamp brackets on the engine. See if there are 2 bolts, one on each side that have an allen head and a bras nut. If so, remove these stops so that the engine will be able to trim under further and allow you to get on pane.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The Trim stops are at their lowest hole level. You really want to run a motor without the trim pins ???
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Yes, it is part 31 in this diagram. At my dealership we remove them all the time to hep with the planing of boats.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/60%20EFI%20%284%20CYL.%29%284-STROKE%29/1C050252%20%26%20Up/Transom%20Bracket/parts.html

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What about a different prop or hydro foil ?
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Before spending any money on it, or drilling holes into the gear case, I really recommend to remove these stops. it does not hurt anything to allow the engine to get its full range of motion on the trim system.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just seems odd that the boat set by mfg Alumacraft & delivered & prepped by a large reputable marina would leave those in ....
Seems too simple
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

It does happen. Even at my dealership, sometimes the rigger gets overloaded and just forgets to remove them.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just odd 2 places too busy ???
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Every Tracker boat from the 175 to the Pro 16, we remove these bolts from to get a better hole shot. Alumacraft may do the same thing

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Don't want to hurt new expensive engine in 1st month
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

In season when boat sells are good, yes it can get crazy for the guy doing the prop of the boats.

Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

It doe not hurt the engine, the trim system is designed to go that far down. I'm still trying to figure out why Mercury even puts these bolts in the brackets in the first place.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok have ordered 4 blade shallower prop too. Can try this tomorrow. Doesn't look like it'll drop engine much. Will that really make a difference???
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

It allows the engine to tuck under just a bit more and that is all that is needed to plane out.

Yes tomorrow is fine. I have a Dr appt in the afternoon, and I may not be around for a bit after that.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok txs good luck at Dr's office
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Trim pins are not touching. The trim stops before them so no more downward play is left. Any other ideas ?
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

It should not stop before those pins. The engine should actually tuck in some, not stop at straight up and down.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'll look again
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Ok great.