Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Motor got real hot apparently heat indicator sound didn't

Customer Question

motor got real hot apparently heat indicator sound didn't come on. Now it want fire or really do anything
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: when it got so hot and stopped now it won't start.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: it is a 1983 30 hp
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the motor is a 1987 30hp johnson
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
since it over heated it does not fire.
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Ok the first thing we need to do is a compression and spark test. The compression is real important at this point since it was over heated. We could have just a blown head gasket. If compression tests good then we need to check spark. This requires the use of a spark gap tester to test the strength of the spark.

Can you do these checks?