Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Alarm going off a lot, It may be the death finder I don't

Customer Question

Alarm going off a lot
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: It may be the death finder I don't know how to set it
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: All is ok oil and water temp and oil pressure
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Good morning my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote, what are you working on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Rich. And it's a 2007 Chaparral 496 256ssi
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Rich. Is the engine a Mercruiser or a Volvo?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok the alarm goes of when you start it and stays on for about 10 min till you get out in deeper water. It comes on again. It has a depth finder on it
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mercruiser
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Is the alarm a solid tone or a series of beeps? Does the boat have Smartcraft gauges on it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Series of beeps Standard chaparrell gauges I think
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Okay this isn't something I can help you with, without the smartcraft gauges the engine will need to be hooked up to a scan tool in order to see what is causing the alarm. Good luck.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Have to go thanks
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you. Check and see if it is not the shallow water alarm on the unit. Follow these steps here.

Shallow mode: Press the “MODE” keypad to display the “SHAL” shallow depth alarm setting. This is the shallowest water that will activate the alarm. Press and hold the “Up” or the “Down” arrow keypad to adjust the reading to the desired depth. When the depth of the water is less than the shallow depth alarm setting the audible alarm will sound rapidly. When the depth of the water is deeper than the deep depth alarm setting the audible alarm will sound at 2 beeps per second. NOTE: To fully deactivate an alarm, reset it to zero. Pressing the “MODE” keypad temporarily deactivates the alarm. To reactivate the alarm press the “MODE” keypad until the depth reading appears