Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

60 hp 1997 tracker merc. tilt wires to motor cut need to

Customer Question

60 hp 1997 tracker merc. tilt wires to motor cut need to rewire to battery somehow, keep burning wires. novice so be gentle, Ser. # 06554594 1997 60 ELPTO
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: rewire tilt somehow keep burning wires have no idea what I am doing
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: don't think so
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Can you double check that serial number for me. That number 6 should actually be a letter. It should be a B or a D or a G or something like that. Can you double check that for me.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
decal blured could be a G
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Okay got it. Now did you have any specific questions that you wanted me to answer, or did you just need a wiring diagram showing how the trim motor gets wired to the trim relays?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need to wire the tilt to a togel type switch ?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

No, the trim motor does not get wired to a toggle switch. The trim motor gets wired to the trim relays. The trim relays get wired to a toggle switch.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the blue and green wires at the engine have been cut. the wires at the tilt are exposed
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Okay those wires go to the trim relays. Do you know where your trim relays are on the outboard?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
cleaned them
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I guess I do not understand what we are doing. You didn't want a wiring diagram. What kinds of questions did you have for me?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Still will not tilt up or down
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Reattached all the wires clicking in the relays when pressing the tilt switch but does not move
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Which wires keep burning up?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Was trying to hot wire from battery, now put everything back together will not tilt. Cleaned relays
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Here is a wiring diagram of your system. Is your trim wired this way. If not then this could be the problem. Look this diagram over then post back with findings.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It looks the same to me. Not a expert.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

What happens when you push the trim switch on the motor? Do you hear any sounds?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can hear a click as I push the switch
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Have you verified you are getting voltage to the motor? Connect your volt meter to the blue and green wires going to the trim motor.

What is your voltage reading when you push trim button?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do not have a meter, but the engine will start
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

We need to find out if we are getting voltage to the trim motor. The motor cranking has nothing to do with the trim. You could have 2 bad relays or a connection issue and possibly a bad trim motor.

Bad trim motor will burn up wires.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If I connect direct to the battery green and blue wires the tilt will work when i touch the ground extetnal from thr battety
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

So the trim motor works. That leaves the relays or wiring. Have you replaced the relays or checked the wiring to each relay?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Took the relays off cleaned terminals they click when I push the button but motor does not go
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Ok that leaves bad relays. If you have one failing relay it will cause the other one to fail as the relays have to interact with each other.

So by process of elimination the relays are bad. The trim motor works and the wiring is clean leaving the only thing relays.