Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Tan, it's Alex with the 200 with a different question. My

Tan, it's Alex with the 200 Johnson with a different question. My trim/tilt is not working. I can hear something clicking when I press the buttons. I raised the engine manually after releasing the pressure. I pushed the buttons and tapped the tilt motor with a hammer and it worked until I released the button but I had to tap it again for it to work again. I did this a few times but seems to not work now. What do you think might be the problem?

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

That will be a bad motor if you can tap the motor and it works.

You will have to replace the trim motor on the trim assembly.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I take it that the whole assembly has to come off to change the motor?

Not always long as the screws aren't seized. What you do is pull top pin# ***** in the swivel housing. Open manual release valve to let engine all the way down. Now raise the engine back up put tilt latch down. Now you can tilt the trim unit aft and remove the trim motor screws # 2 and motor # 13.

If the screws are seized then you will have to remove the complete assembly. This means pulling the bottom pin # 25 and removing the assembly.http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1993&hp=200&model=J200TXATS&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Power+Trim%2Ftilt+Hydraulic+Assembly

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What other than the motor should I get as far as seals, filter, etc if I just do the motor?

Just the o-ring#14 that goes on the motor. The filter #12 can be cleaned while motor is off.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I will probably do it next week and let you know how it goes.

Ok Alex.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Tan, I did pretty good with your instructions but the one bolts on the hydraulic motor in the back against the outboard motor mount broke off. Now I have no choice but to take the whole hydraulic assembly off. I have been trying to get pin #25 out but its not budging. I've got the snap rings off and I have been beating the heck out of it but it's not moving. The top one I kept beating side to side and it eventually came all the way out. Am I doing something wrong? How does that pin come out?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
one bolt...

Heat is the only thing that will get it loose. Propane isn't hot enough most of the time so you have to use acetylene/oxygen.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Other than the fiberglass on the transom, is there anything that may get damaged trying to heat it. That won't hurt the pump or cylinders seals?

It can if it gets hot enough damage the seals in trim unit. The only other option is to remove the engine from the boat then remove both engine mount brackets.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is a lot of bracket there what area of the bracket is actually touching the pin? The top had plastic bushings, so the pin is actually loose without the bushings. Is it the motor mount it is stuck on or the actual tilt assembly? The drawing show bushings on the bottom also.

The pin is seized in the brackets on each side. If you heat the trim unit it only melts the bushings then the trim unit is only loose on the pin. The places you need to heat the pin are in the brackets not the trim assembly.

It is possible to remove one bracket then pull trim unit. Just support the motor and unbolt the engine bracket on the port side.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What are the lifting points on the engine? I think I am going to have to remove it from the boat.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you know what size the flywheel bolt holes are?

I think they are 3/8 24.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They were 5/16 - 24. OK, I have it all back together and the pump is just running and the pistons are not moving. How do I get fluid back in the unit?

The motor needs to be in the full up position. Open manual release screw#1 on the trim unit. Lift motor put tilt latch down then open fill plug # 4 and fill till fluid runs out the fill hole. Replace plug tighten manual release screw then run trim up and down a couple of time till the motor tilts up. Release latch and run trim up and down recheck fluid.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1993&hp=200&model=J200TXATS&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Power+Trim%2Ftilt+Hydraulic+Assembly

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK Tan, I got it done. It's working now. I had to pull the tilt piston out and then it started working. I added pic for you to view. After I removed the engine from the boat I still could not get the engine mount off of the shaft because of how much I beat the ends of the shaft up. I ended up getting out my Dremell tool and grinding down the ends of the shaft so it would slide through the hole on the engine mount. I don't think I have to worry about putting the retainer clips back on the shaft because that sucker is not coming off the tilt assembly. I hope I don't have to do that again. Thanks for the help.

Your welcome Alex. That all looks good. I would keep an eye on the pin I'm like you it most likely won't move just check it every once in awhile.

Good job on the bolt removal those can turn into a nightmare.

Please don't forget to positively rate my help. To rate click on the stars at the top of the page 3 or more please.

Here's a direct link to me for future issues. http://www.justanswer.com/boat/expert-suntan/

Thank you........Tan

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I meant to tell you I tried every thing I could find on You Tube on how to get that shaft off, in the end, I think with something that old, next time I would just go right to removing the engine.

In hind site we always know what we should have done.

Believe me I have been there. It's hard to know how bad the corrosion is till you get into it.

I have had them were they just come right apart without pulling the engine. Of course I have had it where the screws came out without anything breaking.

Then I have had them where everything breaks.

Thank you........Tan