Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a 1983 Searay Sundancer. Yesterday when leaving the

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 1983...
Hi, I have a 1983 Searay Sundancer. Yesterday when leaving the dock we heard a clicking sound like something hitting a fan blade except we don't have one. So turned around and headed back to boat slip. The neutral button popped out and a white plastic disk , so we put it back in and it worked temporarily .It doesn't seem to be changing gears. is this a call for new shifter control? Cable adjustment? Put new outdrive unit on last year because we blew the top unit 1st trip out. replaced whole unit figured if the top went ,the bottom would too.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: everything in message sent
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/15/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 5 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote, are you near the boat now? Which engine/sterndrive is in the boat?

Hi Jason. My Name is ***** ***** I own the boat. I'm not near the boat , it is in its slip at the lake about 40 miles away. It has GM 350 with a new SEI Alpha gen1 outdrive

Hi Debi, this is going to be tough to do if you are not near the boat now as there are way to many things that need to be checked. You would need to start by disconnecting the lower shift cable, start the engine up, and then attempt to shift it by hand by moving the lower shift cable in and out. Is that something you can do and get back to me on?

I personally will not be doing the work, my partner will. The boat is 40 miles away so its not something that can be immediate. Is there a way to contact you later? And can you give us a starting point, maybe the easiest things we can do. We're sure its something fairly simple . that neutral button popping out has something to do with boat not going in gear

You would just reply right back here like you have been. The first thing is to see if it shifts by hand with the lower shift cable or not. Let me know what happens and we will take it from there.

My laptop doesn't work at the lake and cell phones a maybe. It's going to be difficult to be in touch from the boat. Hope this works

Without being near the boat this is going to make the process very difficult. It may or may not work out for you, but we'll see.

Hi Jason. remember me Debi in Las Vegas with the Searay that won't go into gear, Well. Jerry went to the boat and disconnected the cable. He said it moved real smooth, didn't engage or hang up on anything. I don't know a lot about boats myself but, find it hard to believe a outdrive with less than 100 hours could be bad. I'm more inclined to think control box needs replaced and the cables could be bad, I don't think either was changed when we did the outdrive last year, I was also wondering why I got charged $27.00 for the short interaction we had. It didn't work like that in the past so just wondering.

H​I Debi. Did you start the engine and see if it actually shifted in and out of gear by moving the shift cable by hand?

we went to the boat and did the cable disconnect . No it did not go into gear moving cables by hand. Jerry said " there's no resistance, with or without the motor running. No clicking, bumping. Just in and out." Next?
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hi Debi. My name is Tan.

Let me see if I can help.

Are you moving the shift cable going to the drive?

If yes and it isn't going into gear the boat will have to come out of the water.

The drive was replaced or repaired?

Was the shift cable replaced along with drive replace/repair?

The drive being replaced doesn't always mean you get a new shift cable.

Hi Tan, this is Debi in Vegas. I have the Searay that won't shift. We did change the outdrive last year after we bought the boat. Had to,blew the top of the one on the boat when we bought it 1st time we put it in the lake. At that time money was good and I felt it better to replace the whole outdrive at that time. as to putting a new top on a old bottom. I figured if the top was in that condition the bottom wasn't much better. We did not replace any thing but the outdrive, which we got at SEI. I'.m inclined to think the control box should be replaced. The neutral button on the side did pop out on its own. We just found it ,stuck it back in the hole it came out of put cover back on and it seemed to be working. we had the boat out twice more and that's where we're at .
The boat is docked about 40 miles from where we live. So anything we do is not immediate. And unfortunately there's been a major change in my financial situation which force's us to be the mechanic.

Hi Debi. Ok then we definitely need to find out which is the issue control or shift cable. So the first step is to remove the shift cable going to the drive from the shift bracket.

Then with engine running push in on the cable end it should go in to forward gear. Then pull to go into reverse. You will have to shut the engine off to get drive into neutral. Then start engine pull for reverse.

I see that a cable was disconnected but I don't know if you tried shifting the cable going to the drive or not?

Jerry said he tried to shift by cable and it did not go into gear.

Ok that means the prop is gone, shift cable is broken or you have a drive issue. Have you checked to see that the prop is still on the drive?

If the prop is still there then the boat has to come out of the water for anything else drive or shift cable.

The prop is there. the outdrive has less than 100 hours, I think its ok. The neutral popping out of the control box on it's own concerns me. I guess I have to make arrangement for a tow and get her out of the water. There goes my paid slip fee's for nothing. LOL life sucks sometimes! Right now I'M 1 of 4 that isn't in need of repair on cars and trucks. And my 10,000.00 investment (my boat) is dead! Thank-you I'll be in touch when we get her home.

The control could also be an issue but since the drive doesn't go into gear with control disconnected we know we have a drive or shift cable issue. The drive is most likely ok but since the boat stays in the water anything is possible.

Do you have a gear lube monitor bottle installed?

Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician