Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

It's overheating and cant seem to get cooling water to

Customer Question

it's overheating and cant seem to get cooling water to circulate through the motor.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: overheating, no water circulating through the engine.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: replaced impeller, and removed the thermostat and that did not work.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? What are you working on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Jason, this is David, my boat engine Mariner 115, year 1997 is overheating and doesn't appear to be circulating water.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Replaced impeller and removed the thermostat completely and flushed out the cooling reservoir, boat is not in the water.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

H​I David, okay got that. Are you running the outboard on a garden hose or is the outboard in the water?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
garden hose, the boat as I mentioned is not in the water.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Okay can you put the boat in the water now and see if starts to pump water?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
was thinking about it, but its a 24 ft pontoon. If we get it in the water and it doesn't pump water, what then?
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

To be honest I don't like doing the "what next" thing, I could type for 20 minutes on all the things that need to be checked. When do you think you can put the boat in the water?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, if that's what you recommend, can we get back with you once we put it in?
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Yes of course you can reply back at any time, and if it does end up water please come back and let me know. The reason this needs to be done is not every outboard will pump water properly when trying to run on those flushing muffs, but they will pump water properly with the boat in the water. So there may or may not actually be anything wrong. Let me know what happens once you put the boat in the water and we will take it from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, thanks Jason. We'll keep you posted. David
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Okay sounds good. If it does not pump water then obviously pull the boat back out and then I will start typing all of the things that need to be checked.