Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Looking for spark plug socket for a 2016 GTR Sea Doo, Can't

Customer Question

looking for spark plug socket for a 2016 GTR Sea Doo
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Can't find the socket to fit over the plug so I can change them myself
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: nope
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that is a 2016 GTR 215 Sea Doo Jet Ski
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

The hex on the spark plugs is 5/8" or 16mm. Either socket will fit the spark plug. Most any store that sells hand tools will carry this spark plug socket.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the is down in a cylinder? and doesn't allow a normal socket to reach the hex head. Am I missing something? Is the cylinder around the spark plug removable?
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

You will need a long extension on the ratchet to gain access to the plugs. Or you could use T-handle tool like this one.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200396144_200396144

Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Did you need assistance on the plugs?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, I need assistance on how to get the socket around the plug? There is not enough room for a normal socket on this model, that is why I am asking It there is a special socket made to fit down in there?
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

You may need a thin wall spark plug socket, but even the owners manual for the ski says just a regular spark plug socket will do.

Make sure that the entire coil boot came up with the coils, and there is not a rubber ring left on the plugs.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK. I'll look at it closer. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Your welcome.