Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I think I flooded the engine (with gas). I don't have a tool

Customer Question

I think I flooded the engine (with gas). I don't have a tool to remove and clean spark plug. Can I just wait for fuel to evaporate? How long might that take?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: It's a 4 HP Yamaha four stroke outboard
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: It initially started right up but I tried to put in gear and go before it warmed up, it stalled, and I could not get it started again.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will repeatedly pulling the starter with throttle at minimum and choke out (engaged) speed the recovery? If yes how will I know I have been trying long enough? Will it eventually start?
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

If the engine is flooded, using the choke will make it worse, sine this is drawing in more fuel. What you can do to try and get it clear is to open the throttle to full, have the choke off, or not engaged, and then pull the engine ofer several times. This will allow extra air to get into the combustion chamber and try to clear the fuel out. When the engine tarts, it will rev high, so be ready to slow the throttle back down.