Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I'm trying to find the impeller on my OMC 800 drive, Just…

I'm trying to find...

I'm trying to find the impeller on my OMC 800 drive

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Just got the boat. The old owner said it needed an impeller. It looks like he sucked up a lot of mud and debris before the impeller went

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

I took the bottom case off and saw all the gunk, but I can't see where the impeller should be in the diagrams, relative to that lower unit

Answered in 1 day by:
6/4/2017
Marine Mechanic: K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic replied 5 years ago
K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic

Hi, my name is Kerry

Your impeller is in the bottom of the upper gearcase.

I'll post a link to a parts diagram, to get accurate part numbers we'll need the model number.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/55145.cfm?mdl=GRXZMT

What, no questions?

negative rating with no follow-up questions, have a nice day

You could tell me where to find the model number. All I know is the ratio 1:77:1 on the top of the leg. A more complete answer would include that info, and tips/tricks and cautions in replacing the impeller; for instance, what parts ABSOLUTELY would need to be replaced, and which parts are recommended (while I'm at it). I think it's logical to include these things, whether it's me (a DIY kinda guy, or in monitoring a mechanic's work (to make sure I don't get screwed). Does that sound reasonable? Thanks. Would pictures help?

My reply was a starting point.

There is usually a metal tag on the top front of the upper gearcase which has the model and serial numbers. You can see it when the drive is down.

You will need to remove the drive and separate the upper from the lower.

When you turn the upper upside down, you will see four bolts with a 3/4" head. They hold the punp housing in place, you need remove all four and carefully pry the pump housing off without breaking the seal between the housing and upper gearcase.

Then clean all sealant from the housing and plate, also inspect the housing for wear, if it's worn badly it is advised to change the housing, wear plate and impeller, in other words use a pump kit instead of just the impeller.

There is also a shaft which plugs into the upper gear set and the lower driveshaft. It runs through the pump and drives the impeller, you need to make sure the splines on the shaft and upper are in useable condition.

Would you like to have instructions to do this job.

The 800 series has a cable shift that is tricky to remove and replace and needs to be disconnected to remove the drive.

It is not possible to do a water pump without removing the drive.

K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic

You asked where the pump is, I told you but you seem to have expected much more.

When I give you more you drop communication.

Good luck!