Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Trying to bleed showa tilt / trim on a Honda BF50, Not sure

Customer Question

Trying to bleed showa tilt / trim on a Honda BF50
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Not sure if that went through. Basically, I'm bleeding the system, but it's not working.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Everything is brand new. So, I'm pretty sure I
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Scott, my name is***** you say everything is brand new are you talking about the trim pump assembly itself? Is the entire trim assembly brand new?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
new trim motor. "New" hydro cyl.Base plate that connects motor to cyl cracked. I bought brand new motor, and brought the cyl. to Rochester Cyl. for new seals / an inspection.Just reinstalled. No idea how to bleed. What I saw on you tube isn't working. Time to talk to pros.I'm actually standing next to the outboard right now.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Okay so the whole trim unit isn't new, only part of it, correct?

How exactly are you trying to bleed it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Outboard on trim lock
Removed red plastic fill screw
Add fluid until it pours back out
Replace red cap
Remove from trim lock (by hand)
Motor immediately drops downTried that a few times.Motor does not go up or down using trim.At one point, had to use the Powet Manual release because the motor would not let me lift it up to put back on the trim lockThen I wrote y'all.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Okay you are doing everything correctly. That is how you bleed it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hmmm. Why wouldn't it let me lift it back up then?I feel like when I open the Power Manual Valve, im just reintroducing air.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Well, let me ask you a couple of questions back. First, what year is the motor. 2nd, how much time in hours do you have into this trim system so far from start to where you are now?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Motor is 2004 bf50 with Showa Trim assemblyOne hour to remove
Dropped off cyl to be rebuilt
Ordered new motor
One hour to reinstall45 min of attempted bleeding. Just doesn't feel right pulling up in it to get it back in trim lock. And there is no response from trim button. I can hear the motor, but no up or down motion occurs
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

The reason I asked is because in the shop we do not rebuild trim units. And we do not do it for a couple of reasons. The first is Honda does not teach you how to do it. I am Honda certified and have been through the classes, but they do not teach you how to rebuild trim unit. (This isn't anything Honda specific, I'm also Mercury certified and Mercury doesn't teach you either). There are some very basic and very rudimentary instructions in the service manual, along with a basic flow chart, but it doesn't actually tell you what to look for except for more or less saying check everything and if it doesn't work replace the trim assembly. Because of those reasons it's simply not cost effective in the shop to try and bother rebuild one. A new unit is about 1200 bucks. A mechanic could spend 6 or 7 hours futzing with a unit and throw a hundred or two into parts at it and in the end there is a very good chance the unit still would not work. Somebody has to pay for that mechanics time. Because of that, there isn't any point in even trying to rebuild the unit. If you want it I can certainly give you a copy of what is in the service manual and you can see if you can get anywhere with it. But other than that if you want this to work the first time you would want to get a new or used unit. Does that all make sense?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The cyl. Worked fine when I brought it to be rebuilt. The only reason I sent it out was in case water had infiltrated the system. They simply polished the shaft and replaced seals.So, is it normal or abnormal that I have to crack open the manual release to get the outboard back on the trim lock during the bleeding process?If I'm bleeding it properly, should I continue using my arms to raise and lower the out board, filling when in the up position?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

The correct way to bleed is to open the manual relief screw. Lift up by hand. Set on the trailer lock. Fill the reservoir until it overflows. Put the reservoir cap back on. Drop the engine down. Close the manual relief screw. Hit trim up and see how far the motor lifts up. Then repeat over and over. The actual filling of the unit can take some time as the unit does hold quite a bit of trim fluid but you can only fill it a few ounces at a time. Aside from that, I will give you what is in the factory service manual that way you run through the flowcharts and see how far you want to tear this thing down. The manual does say BF35/BF45 on the upper right but this also covers the BF50 engine (It's the same trim unit, you'll see it in the pictures). See attachment.

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks and good luck
Jason