Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I aquired bla bla bla. There is a miss when the engine is

Customer Question

I aquired bla bla bla. There is a miss when the engine is running. Right now it is on muffs until the miss is eliminated
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: 1983 johnson 115
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Not yet...
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

The easiest way to find a misfire is with the use of a timing light. Connect the light to one cylinder watch the flash of the light. The flash should be steady with no dead spots. Do this check on each cylinder till you find the misfire. When you find the misfire swap that ignition coil with a known good firing cylinder. If the misfire moves the coil is bad. If it stays then we have another ignition component failing. This will require more testing. You will need a peak reading volt meter to read output voltage from the stator and the timer base.

Post back with questions and findings.