Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

2003 mercury 90hp 4stoke ob my charging is to high it goes

Customer Question

2003 mercury 90hp 4stoke ob my charging is to high it goes from 12volts to18volts when it run
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

I read what you wrote. Did you have any specific questions that you wanted me to answer, or did you want me to explain what we would do in the shop to troubleshoot the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

It looks like you read my reply, are you here?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello my name is***** boat batter seems to be getting over charged when my outboard motor is running. Why would this be doing that?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi Isaac. That can happen for 3 reasons. The first is if the battery is bad in any way shape or form. The 2nd reason is if the battery cables have any kind of corrosion on them. The last reason is if the outboards voltage regulator is bad.

The voltage regulator senses and monitors voltage output at all times, if it senses the battery is low it starts charging it. If it thinks the battery is really low due to either a poor connection to the battery or if the battery itself is bad, it will end up overcharging. The first thing to do is to make sure the battery cable ends and the battery posts are nice and clean and shiney, with no corrosion. After that, the battery needs to be tested with either a battery load tester or a battery capacitance tester. If you do not own those tools basically any auto parts store that sells batteries can test your battery for free for you. The battery test is a simple pass or fail test. It will either pass or it will not. If the battery is a fail then you would replace the battery and retest. If the battery is a pass, then the problem is going to be a bad voltage regulator on the outboard.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

That is where you stand on your end and how to figure out what the problem is. I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Was there anything else Isaac?

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi Isaac, just following up, did you have any further questions on the issue?