Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Would too much oi in the fuel for 1985 Evinrude 25 hp

Customer Question

would too much oi in the fuel for 1985 Evinrude 25 hp outboard motor hydrofoil stabilizer installed cause my motor to cut back at medium power applied?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: When I move the accelerator control past halfway on the above outboard the motor trolls back to idle
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

To much oil can cause spark plug fouling. The hydrofoil won't cause this issue.

The first step is to do a spark and compression test. If spark is good and compression are good then when the engine acts up choke it. Does it run better? Then if no change squeeze the primer bulb when engine acts up. Does it run better?

Post back with questions and findings.