Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Merc 2003 50 hp 2 stroke idles smooth in gear at 650-700

Customer Question

merc 2003 50 hp 2 stroke idles smooth in gear at 650-700 rpm. if i push throttle forwards tiny bit, motor spits, goes clunk, spits,goes clunk. anything above 1,500 rpm up to full throttle, smooth as silk
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: i have two different capacitors on cyls. no. 1 cyl has a capacitor pn 0663-827509-a8
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read all that you wrote. I don't know what you at or may not have tried on your own yet, but I have an idea of what may be wrong. What kinds of questions did you have?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hi,name is mike
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Mike, did you the rest of my response. I wrote " I read all that you wrote. I don't know what you at or may not have tried on your own yet, but I have an idea of what may be wrong. What kinds of questions did you have?"

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
new fuel pump (manual), all new fuel lines,filter,fuel enrichment solenoid,new tank pick up, new bulb,cleaned tank,rebuilt all 3 carbs twice;
new plugs;
as u are aware, motor has 3 different carbs on it,-1,-2,-3. middle carb had a broken ear on front where mount bolt goes thru to bolt to intake manifold.
i put a large washer on it and tightened.
motor did this before carb broke.have new one ordered. pulled plugs, nothing unusual. smokes too much for me,when first starting, but clears up.
compression on all 3 cyl. is 125
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
im a motor head. done a lot of work on motors. this baffles me. checked reed valves, no problem.
it drives me crazy. this little clunk, then idle fine, then the clunk again, then idle fine,then clunk,then idle fine.
one thing i know is that idle is set a bit low. i set it at 600, and it will starve out and quit if i dont give a little throttle, then here comes the clunk,idle,then clunk again
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hello? anybody home?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hello,hello,hello?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Mike, good morning and sorry for the delay. I waited around for 10 minutes for you after my last reply last night and didn't hear back in that time, so I ended up logging off for the night. When the engine idles, if you turn the idle mixture screws in or out on each carb, one at a time, is the engine reacting with the idle speed going up and down with each turn of the scew? (Or idle quality getting rougher or smoother). Do any of the spark plugs have overly clean inner insulators?