Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1981 18ft double eagle that is powered with a Volvo

Customer Question

Hi there
I have a 1981 18ft double eagle that is powered with a Volvo penta AQ140a that has twin solex side draft carbs. The carbs are unfortunately tired and function improperly now and the problems are beyond repair. I have been looking at Weber Volvo conversion kit and was wondering, is this a good path to follow or is there other conversion kits out there that can preform better?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Aaron, my name is***** you talking about the Weber K861 kit?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that correct the K861 carb kit is the one I'm interested in
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

I believe that's the only one available for the AQ140, I've never seen a different kit other than this one, have you?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I was just wanted to inquire if there is better performing options before I make a purchase
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Better would be finding 2 good solex carbs, but the odds of that happening are going to be slim to none if you don't live in Sweden. That being said, I've never installed this particular kit on a Volvo engine. But I did install one on my old Triumph Spitfire. The Volvo kit and the Triumph kit that I used both use the same DGV series carburetor. The carb setup was easy and all I really had to do was fine tune the idle a bit. Other than that it definitely works much better than the Stromberg carb that I replaced. I would certainly do it again. As long as your AQ140 doesn't have any other problems the performance is more or less going to be the same as the Solex carbs.

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Aaron, just checking in. Did you have any further questions on the issue?