Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Noel Ben here hoping to get some help with my 1979 55hp. The

Customer Question

Hi Noel Ben here hoping to get some help with my 1979 55hp Johnson. The thing won't idle down low for more than 30 secs without stalling, however if your pull the fast idle lever up to increase revs she will stay running. Sitting on 1500rpm she will idle all day any lower she doesn't like it but it LOVES full throttle and will not miss a beat.i have taken both carbs off cleaned them really well( weren't even dirty) replaced All fuel line new spark plugs it's worth noting that from stone cold it will start first turn of the key every time, both mixture screws on top of the carbys are screwed all the way in and when I tried screwing then out 1/4 turns at a time it bogged down. Compression is 130psi on top cylinder and 112 psi on the bottom cylinder.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Ben, good morning my name is***** you have a timing light so we can check and see what the timing is set to?