Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1998 Mercury 200hp outboard and as I was driving it

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Mercury 200hp outboard and as I was driving it all of a sudden it started sounding a beep beep beep noise then went into guardian mode or limp mode ... Engine was burning oil just fine I could smell it like I usually do and engine was cold .. What do u think my problem is ? I have done some research and some think it's my resevoire tank the sensor inside has gone bad or the magnet in there has gone bad . The engine will only let me go 2000 rpm s
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Good morning, name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Mercury engines are cataloged by serial number. Can I get that number so I can see exactly which engine you have.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi there my name is Brock
And the engine model number is *****
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry OG 636279
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dam OG 626379 this is the correct number lol sorry
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Brock,, good morning. Got the serial thanks. Was it a beep beep beep over and over? Or was it a solid BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Beep beep beep over and over
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Guardian mode and only 2000 r pms
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Runs like shot but it is smoking so it's burning oil
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Brock, good morning. Sorry for the delay but I think there is a time difference between us. Before I get into what to look for, have you tried anything on your own yet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Replacing the cap sensor now
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
On the resevoire on engine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Next is replacing resevoire
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

The most common cause of the issue is simply low oil in the engine mounted tank due to a problem with the oil transfer system (usually a leaking main oil tank fill cap seal). The 2nd most common issue if a bad float in the engine mounted. Step 1 is checking the engine mounted tank to see if its full or not. It's not you check the oil transfer system, if it is full, then you replace the cap float. How did you end up making out?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was full and replaced the cap still have problem ...!
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

The next thing in line would be a bad control module. The control module is a little plastic box on top of the engine. It will have 3 sets of plugs coming out of it. On one of those plugs there will be a light blue wire, a dark blue, a tan/blue, and a black/white. Disconnect that plug and then let me know if the alarm stays on or if it shuts off.

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hello, just checking in, any progress?