Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

My mercury helm is leaking oil, my mercury helm is leaking

Customer Question

my mercury helm is leaking oil
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: my mercury helm is leaking oil
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: it laking were the 2 pieces come together
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

What engine do you have on the boat.

What brand is the steering cylinder?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the engine is a mercury 150 verado i don't know the brand of the steering cylinder
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Ok, the 150 Verado does not come with the Mercury power assist steering, the most common brand of steering systems on boats is SeaStar. Does your helm have tilt, and is the helm body on the outside of the helm itself?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the boat repair shop says it is a tilt helm 1.7 verado w/x52 part #216-up28tx52
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

If you have the Uflex helm unit, and it is leaking around the shaft that the tilt connects to, it will need to be resealed. Problem is that I can not locate a part number online for the seal kit to the helm. At the shaft on it, should just be a quad-ring seal and a round bolt on keeper to hold it in place.